Read the article in the sequence of parts.
OK, all of us have understood the importance of Intellect and also realised where we stand. Now, it is time to think – why it is low? Or what is the reason that it not developed beyond a level?
- If we expose our mind to all the activities of the world, the mind is agitated and has more likes and dislikes. Its demands are increasing and the intellect is not strong to control it.
- That is why may be those days women were not exposed to the outside world too much.
- More exposure leads to more agitation.
- I am not asking the women to sit at home. I am just saying improve your intellect and get exposed.
- These days we want even the infants to get more exposure to the world, thinking that they have better grasp and it will develop the intelligence.
- We are absolutely right but unfortunately, we are unaware of the fact – more exposure to the mayas (illusions) of the world will be a hindrance to the growth of the intellect.
- Example 1: I have 2 kids – one 8 years old and the other is 3 years old. Suppose, I have a friend and she has got a kid who hits other kids and throws tantrums. If I am going to send my kids for playing with that child. My elder kid’s intellect is developed to some extent and he will tell me “mamma this boy is hitting us, so I need to be careful”. But my younger one who has an intellect by birth but not yet developed will start to copy this boy’s attitude. So as a smart mother I am forced to stop my younger one to have more exposure with that child. Exposing my elder one with that boy is not so dangerous.
- The point is exposure to the activities of the world is very important but it is very dangerous if the intellect is not developed to control.
- This is called self – discipline. If I discipline my child by force, he will become adamant. So the better answer is reducing the exposure.
- Example 2: I and my husband have taken a conscious decision not to give computer games to our kids. Three days back my elder son got his report card and the rating was outstanding. We were very happy. The very next morning I am was reading the newspaper and there was an article about these days’ kids. It said that the kids are exposed to too much of computer / video games and they lack concentration etc. The very evening I am meeting some mothers who are also discussing the same topic and in the night I am seeing a similar programme on TV. After 4 days, in the middle of my work I saw my Son fiddling with some thing and playing a silly game. If I don’t have my intellect developed – my mind will react based on the last few experiences and I will start shouting at my son “what are you doing? You are always playing some silly games? These days the kids are like that etc……” If my intellect is developed even though with these last few experiences I will be clear that my son is doing well in studies and I have not given him the video games and these are unrelated to me.
- In ancient days, the boys are sent to gurukulam (those days residential school). The guru (teacher) will give them both intelligence and intellect. Only if the teacher declares him fit for the exposure of the world, the child will be sent out.
- So we will expose our mind to the world only when the intellect is developed to control. Otherwise, it is the nature of the mind to get addicted to the instant happiness.
- Now, it must be clear why more kids are addicted to junk food and all the things which give them instant happiness.
- There is more fear among the elders about theft, murder, not believing the maids / neighbours, sons not attending the parents etc. The reason is more addiction to TV news.
- There are people who watch the news all the time. They react based on the experience of the news heard because of the low intellect.
- To be aware of the happenings in the world just watch the news for half an hour.
- Now the media is making and developing some news which is happening some where very rarely and is presented 24 hours again and again to earn more money.
- To the elders – Let us not corrupt our mind by watching these made news. Rather read some scriptures.
- Nothing to fear or worry. Rather than finding an entertainment place for your kid – just sit at home and spend a lot of time with the family and kids. Everything will improve.
See part 8