Read the article in the sequence of parts.
It’s 3’oclock in the morning and I can’t even close my eyes – B.B King
This is the situation of many these days. There is so much of deficit of sleep to catch up. This deficit of sleep affects our quality of judgement and decision making. In other words, affects the intellect.
As per Ayurveda, the 24 hours is divided into 6 time frames. In each time frame, the mind reaction is different.
Th following table shows the time – mind status and the respective activities to be carried out during the day.
|Vata / Satvik Time||2am to 6am||Analytical but muscle weak||Reading and Meditation|
|Kapha / Tamasic Time||6am to 10 am||Sluggish but body active||Mundane work and Exercise|
|Pitta / Rajasic Time||10am to 2 pm||Action||Big Task|
|Vata / Satvik Time||2 am to 6 am||Analytical but muscle weak||Creative work /planning for next day|
|Kapha / Tamasic Time||6pm to 10 pm||Sluggish but body active||Dinner & sleep|
|Pitta / Satvik Time||10pm to 2 am||Action||Sleep|
Vata time / Satvik time – Mind is Active and more analytical (2-6 am)
- Our mind is very alert.
- Intellect is used more.
- Mind has the nature to slip to the past and future and produce worry and anxiety.
- It is a best time to study and meditate but a bad time to worry.
- Waking up during satvik / vata time is important to develop the intellect.
- Get up, read and do your meditation. (muscle weak – they will be relaxed with meditation)
- Best time to wake up is 4 am.
- If not wake up before 6 am.
Kapha / Tamasic Time – Mind is Dull (6-10am).
- That is why at this time we don’t feel like getting up. So it is better to get up before 6 am to be active.
- This time continues till 10 am.
- As the mind is not alert we can do the daily routine work without any thinking.
- The body is active. Therefore, it is the best time to exercise.
Pitta / Rajasic Time – Mind is active but less analytical (10 am to 2 pm)
- Do all your big tasks and try to have your big meal of the day i.e. lunch during this time.
- Digestion is at its peak.
- Main meal nourishes the mind, which is very active at this time.
- Many cases of high blood pressure are attributed to skipping the noon meal.
Vata / Satvik time- Mind is alert (2pm to 6 pm)
- We might have noticed that the mind is slipping or wandering during this time even though we are in a meeting.
- It thinks of snacks and getting bored.
- It is the best time to do creative work.
- Mind is active but muscles are weak.
- It is important to take a small nap. This gives a rest to the mind and body.
Kapha / Tamasic Time – Mind is Dull (6-10pm)
- Mind and body both are weak.
- Eat dinner and stretch your legs and relax.
- Spend time with your family, listen to nice music and enjoy.
- Hit the bed before 10 pm.
- After 10 pm it is the pitta / Rajasic time.
- If you don’t sleep before 10 pm, the mind will be alert and will induce you to do more work till 2 am.
- Primary problems of insomnia can be corrected by hitting the bed before 10 pm.
Pitta / Rajasic Time – Mind is active but less analytical (10 pm to 2 am)
- People experience more mental clarity after 10 pm.
- It is natural because of Vata / Rajasic Time.
- Being active at this time affects the internal cleansing efforts.
- If the cleansing is affected it creates more toxins and stress hormones.
- So it is good to sleep at this time.
- If the cleansing is proper -the body will be light and the mind will be clear in the morning.
We need 6 to 8 hours of deep sleep to relax our mind and develop the intellect. This will happen only between sun set and sunrise. Suppose we are sleeping at 4 am and getting up at 12 noon. We have not finished our 8 hours of sleep. Rather it is only 2 hours (4am to 6 am)
We have a very hectic day and could not get the 6 -8 hours of sleep. We need to compensate the deficit sleep the next day. Not by getting up 2 hours late in the morning but by going to bed 2 hours early.
We can follow this for the kids to start off. If the kids mind are agitated – it is adamant, throwing tantrums or going into a cocoon (shyness).
As per the Indian life style, kids are put to sleep in the afternoon and have to hit the bed before 10 pm.
I am fully against this western culture of putting the kids to sleep by 8 pm and not resting in the afternoon. Believe my words, put your kids to sleep for an hour or two in the afternoon and you mothers also take a small nap.
The initial phase of the sleep is normal then enters into deep sleep. Its ok if the kids (up to 10 years) go to the deep sleep state. But mothers should wake up before entering the deep sleep.
Wind up the activities of the house. Let the family again hit the bed before 10 pm. May be little difficult initially. It is definitively possible. See the difference in your kid’s emotional behaviour.
Let the kids sleep with their parents.
They will sleep with complete security and that leads to undisturbed sleep.
The western culture thinks about the convenience of the parents. The Indian culture cares for the child.
I can give an example: My friend called me and said that her kid is very cranky and she became impatient and slapped the child. She was feeling upset for her act and said “didn’t know what to do?” She also told me – she just came back from a one week holiday. I got the clue. The child is tired that’s all. I told her to stop all her work and sit with the kid and play all small games and read something and talk. Give the child bread and milk. But don’t move out of your child. The child on its own went to sleep by 4.30 pm and got up the next morning 7 am. I told her not to wake the child, let it complete its sleep. She called me the next evening saying the child behaved so well and she finished all her washing etc.
Yes, children are cranky or don’t sleep when they are over exhausted.
It is very important for the mother to sleep with the kids. Indian parents don’t work on kids emotions as the kids are having a secured feeling. If we leave them alone then we need to take time to handle there emotions.
Security develops intellect.
- Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
- Child + security + deep sleep = good behaviour
- Insomnia because of irregular sleep habits. The mind does not withdraw and it is continuously active. Mind is kept idle at the most active time of the day and it is exhausted at the most lazy time of the day.
- As per Ayurveda, if we follow anything for 45 days it becomes a habit and if we follow for 90 days it changes the original habit.
- Also read my article – What Happened to the leisurely sundays?
Good night…..sleep well………………
See Part 9
Tags for search :Sleeping problem, sleep of kids, Insomnia