Ayurveda is a Sanskrit word.
“Ayu” means life. “Veda” means knowledge. It is a science which talks about the knowledge of life or in other words the right way of living.
In Modern science, mind and body are considered different but in Ayurveda they are treated as one. In the sense, both influences each other.
Ayurveda treats the cause and the modern science treats the symptoms. For example, my husband, I and my Mom -in -law have a headache. When we go the modern doctor he might give a same pill for all of us as the symptom is head ache. But the cause can be different. My husband has a headache because of stress, for me because I didn’t have a good sleep in the night may be my kids didn’t sleep and my Mom-in- law might have a stomach upset. From an Ayurvedic physician we will all come with a different prescription for the same head ache as the cause is different.
Modern science ignores that “the body immune system is the best medicine”. In Ayurveda medicines are given to improve the immune system and naturally heal the disease.
It is a very old, but a fully developed science. It even mentions about surgeries including brain and plastic surgery in the book Sushruta Amhita.
In precise, Ayurveda tells how to take care of body, mind and to keep your life force (prana/energy) in good condition.
There are 8 branches in Ayurveda. This is called the Ashtanga meaning “8 limbs”. They are,
1. Kaya Chikitsa
- Treatment of Body.
- Physical and mental state.
- Change in life style.
- Related to Soul, Mind and Body.
2. Shalakya Tantra
- Ears, Nose and Throat (Shalakya).
- Disease of ENT.
- Surgical procedure of ear disorder.
- Disease above neck region.
- Problem in and around neck.
3. Agada Tantra
- Air and Water pollution.
- Toxins in animals and minerals.
- Poisons and Antidots.
- Epidemics Treatment.
4. Kaumar Bhritya
- Prenatal and Postnatal care.
- Methods of conception.
- Childhood diseases and Midwifery.
5. Shalya Tantra
- Surgical care of disease.
- Dissection of organ and body.
- Surgical Removal.
6. Bhoota Vaidya
- Disease of Mind.
- Breathing and Mantra technique.
- Invisible cause of disease.
- Super natural power.
- Problem of sukra Dathu.
- Reproduction and infertility.
- Treatment of sexual health.
- Prevention and longevity.
- Preventive health care.
- Strength of body and sense.