This is the most tastier, easier and healthier South Indian soup. In all the cuisines – soup is had in the beginning of a meal but in south Indian cuisine it is had in the middle of a meal.
I always feel that my mother makes the best resam. I used to try it in her way – it used to be a good resam but not fabulous.
Later year, I went to Singapore for an holiday and visited my relatives house. There my husband’s cousins wives mother made such an wonderful resam. Lots of people make good food only a few can explain it to others (the trick). She gave me this trick. I devote this recipe to her.
- Tamarind – one gooseberry size.
- Tomato – 3 nos (my mother always uses a lot of tomato this gives the flavour of a kalyana resam)
- Resam Powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Hing / Perungayam – 5 to 6 pinches.
- Cooked Arhar dhal – 4 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Methi seeds – 5 to 6 nos
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves
Add all the ingredients in the ingredients list (except the cooked dhal) in a vessel along with one cup of water.
Allow this to boil in a low flame till all the masala is mixed.
After boiling; it will look like this. This decides the taste of the resam. If you need really a very masalavi resam – then boil it till the water evaporates. I like it till here.This will take about 15 to 20 minutes.
Add the cooked dhal and also add about 650 ml of water. Allow it to froth in low flame. DO NOT ALLOW IT TO BOIL.
Now add the seasoning. Ghee – add the methi seeds – allow it to brown (can add one or two whole red chilli)- then add the mustard seeds – allow it to splutter – add the jeera – curry leaves. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- In case you don’t have the cooked dhal – it can be substituted with 2 tsp of parruppu podi (roasted arhar dhal powder).
- As per ayurveda, every meal should be accompanied by a soup. This will help in good digestion. Mixing the soup with the food is the best way rather than drinking it as it is.
- Soup helps in removing all the indigestion problems like stomach bloating, constipation and gas.
- Using a good amount of tomato will help in improving constipation.
- I have used eeya sombhu. This is a vessel used in South India to make resam. The flavour if made in this vessel is amazing. There are people who say that it has lead so it is not healthy. I could not find any proof for this. As all the things done in olden days are good – I presumed even this will be right.