Penne pasta – 300 gms ( I have not used the whole wheat version. I find this pasta more tasty than any other variety. Cooking in a cooker works for this pasta.)`
Tomato – 9 nos
Red Bell pepper – 1 big
Onion – 2 medium size finely chopped
Garlic – 5 to 6 finely chopped
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Mixed herbs – 2 tbsp ( I will not recommend the Italian seasoning. It does not give good flavour when used in cooking. This can be used as garnish on top after cooking (in case you require more spice)).
Basil – 1 tbsp
Black pepper – 15 to 20 nos powdered
Salt – 2 tsp
Cook the pasta directly in a cooker with enough water and add a few drops of oil. If you follow the packet instruction in an open pot – you may have to stand and attend to the pasta. It also takes a longer time.
Cook it on high flame for one whistle. Allow the steam to release by lifting the weight with some knife or some flat spatula or show the cooker in running water. open the cooker and drain the pasta in a sieve.
While you have kept the cooker start making the sauce.
- Add oil
- Add onion and garlic
- When it is cooked well add the bell pepper and tomatoes (finely chopped).
- When cooked – mash them with the potato masher.
- Can make it to a puree – once cooled. I like this texture so I don’t make it into a puree.
- Add black pepper, mixed herbs, basil and salt.
- Add the cooked pasta and cook only for 3 to 4 minutes.
- The pasta is done.
- Can garnish with grated cheese and chopped fresh basil.
- Red bell pepper will reduce the sourness in tomato and give a good flavour to the pasta. If you are not adding red bell pepper then you may have to add some cheese and cook to nullify the sourness of the tomatoes.
- Can add red chilli flakes. I like the flavour of black pepper in pasta.