It is the dream of every lady to have a well organised kitchen. I feel only the person using it – can design it very well.
But – how?
I am sharing some tips to get organised.
I have a modular kitchen. Initially, this cupboard (in the above picture) I was using as a crockery shelf near the dinning. And I used the built in modular cupboards for the kitchen things. I used to clean regularly – so it was in (some) shape. Always, there was ulad pulat (Topsy Turvy).
I saw some organising videos on you tube and decided to organise my kitchen.
First rule I learnt was – anything in the eye level can only be maintained clean. Unfortunately, my modular kitchen cupboards are either above my eye level or at the bottom (Where I need to bend down). This is a rented house – so I could not change the cupboards. I did some simple changes,
- Brought my crockery shelf from the dinning to the kitchen.
- Bought an open shelf.
- Bought a stainless steel wall hanging.
- Bought bottles of same sizes.
Then, removed everything from the kitchen shelves. Completely empty. One full room filled with things. I decided to throw all the unwanted things. As I had the kitchen stuff in the kitchen, one crockery shelf and also some cupboards in the pooja room. Thought of keeping the kitchen things restricted only to kitchen. Soughed things which I was not at all like scooper, some slicer, designed ice trays, cookie cutters, apple cutter,plasic boxes (n number) etc. The list can be for a whole page. Anything I didn’t use for the last 2 years – I decided to throw. Made a list of items required in the kitchen and started to organise.
One useful tip – is to have a stainless steel shelf on top of the sink to keep all the stainless vessels and kadai. Then there is no need for the vessel basket near the sink. We can wash and keep it on these shelves. One major job of clearing the vessels from the basket is saved. I could not implement this idea as it is my rented house.Some thing like this.
Labelling is important to have an organised kitchen. We might clean and everything will look good. To maintain labelling is required. The boxes will come to the right place after cleaning if labelled. Even your husband can manage the kitchen (even enters once in a while).
This is not the only way to organise the kitchen. This is just an idea to motivate for cleaning. Of course, you are the best interior designer for your own kitchen.
All the best – get organised…………………
- Just cleaning and arranging things will not make the kitchen organised. It is very important to get away with unwanted things and make a conscious decision not to accumulate.
- Vessel management is an important task in kitchen. In my mother’s house, all the family members will have separate plates. All of them will wash in the sink near the dinning table and keep it in the kitchen. The kitchen sink will only have cooking vessels. All the eating vessels are considered as juta or echal or unhygienic to mix with cooking vessels. In the previous house, I had a separate wash basin. I kept the dishwasher under it. All of us will wash the eating vessels just with water and put it in the dishwasher. All the tiffin boxes are also loaded. I used to run it once a day. It was very useful. This will help in organising the vessels.
- Getting rid of non – stick and replacing it with iron kadai and tava’s. For lifetime, they will be there with you. No need to buy and change every now and then. Need to put in some effort for maintenance. Think about it?