My mother has one standard recipe for making north Indian subzis with chapatis. It is very simple and unbelievably tasty.
I have used,
- Onions (medium) – 2 nos – no need to chop fine – retain it slightly big.
- Tomatoes – 2 nos
- carrots – 3 nos
- Peas – 20 nos
- Broad Beans – 6 nos
- Radish – 1 no
- Leek – 2 long stripes
- Green chilli – 2 nos.
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander for garnish.
- Add oil.
- Add jeera allow it to splutter.
- Add onion and green chilli. Just fry for 4 minutes. No need to fry brown.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add turmeric and salt.
- Allow the tomatoes to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium flame. As these vegetables will leave water.
- Open and stir regularly.
- Once cooked garnish with coriander.
- I have used these vegetables. But, you can use any combination of vegetables.
- Can use cauliflower, capsicum and peas combination or
- Potato,capsicum and peas or
- Make bindi this way.
- I have used 2 onions can use upto 4 nos. If you use 4 onions then increase the tomato to 3 nos.
- Can make this without onions – in that case use some desi tomatoes ( sour ones) and sweet red ones. But, I recommend this recipe only with onions.
- Can add cooked peanuts, chick peas. Cook them with salt.
- Can add sprouts. But only 2 to 3 tbsp.
- In case you don’t want to add chopped tomatoes – tell me how you will add the tomatoes? Yes, in this recipe we are cooking the tomatoes and not frying – so cook the tomatoes in hot water,remove the skin and make it a puree and add it.