Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Whole masala – 2 bayleaf, 2 small pieces of cinnamon, 4 cloves, 4 green cardamon, 2 black cardamon, 1tsp of jeera / shahi jeera.
Lemon – 1/2 lime.
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp for cooking the rice – 1 1/2 tsp for the vegetable masala.
Vegetables – carrot – 4 nos, beans – 20 nos, peas – 1/2 cup, ginger – small piece, green chilli – 1 no. We can also use cauliflower or paneer.
Oil – 3 tbsp.
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp.
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp.
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp.
Garam masala – 1 tsp.
Curd – 200 gms. (FRESH AND THICK – NO SOURNESS)
One medium onion for frying.
Kismis and nuts – few
Saffron – soaked in 2 tbsp of water.
Mint and coriander leaves chopped – 2tbsp
FOR THE RICE :
- Wash the rice well and soak it in water for half an hour atleast.
- Boil water ( for one cup of rice use 6 cups to 8 of water / plenty of water).
- Boil along with the whole masalas (jeera, cinnamon, cardamon (green and black), cloves, bayleaf).
- Once boiled add salt and lemon juice (it will help in separating the rice) or use vinegar.
- Add the soaked rice and retain the flame in the lowest. We can cook in the high flame. It will be difficult to find 90% cooked rice.
- When you drop the rice – the rice will be at the bottom.
- As and when it cooks – it will raise up. Please do not stir the rice. Use a big vessel and water – so that the rice will have enough room to increase.
- When the rice is 1 inch below the water – it is 90% cooked. Drain the water and spread it in on a plate.
- Add few drops of oil and mix gently with a fork.
FOR THE MASALA :
- Add oil – 3 tbsp
- Fry the onion brown (medium to high flame).
- Fry the nuts and kismis.
- In the same oil add the vegetables expect peas.
- Roast on medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and salt.
- Cover and cook for 7 minutes.
- The vegetable will be 70 % done. Add the peas and the dry masala powders (turmeric, redchilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala).
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 100 gms of curd (half the quantity of curd).Mix well and cook for 2 minutes on high flame.
- Vegetable is ready.
Arrange the rice and vegetable in a cooker with curd – see the pictures.
After arranging the rice. Sprinkle water 6 to 7 times. Can add dollops of butter on top. I didn’t use the butter. It gives a creamy effect. But, even without butter- it is fabulous – no compromise on flavour,
Don’t use the weight / whistle.
Keep it on the lowest flame for 4 minutes (exactly).
Then, keep it on a huge vessel or huge kadai of water. Boil the water.
Keep the cooker inside the vessel of water (this will give a dum to the biryani).
Keep it for 25 minutes.
Don’t open immediately. Switch off the gas and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
Then open. Insert a fork from the center and check whether the bottom is dry. Mostly it will be .
Start taking the rice from the sides first and then from the center.
ASSEMBLING and DUM
PAPAD CUPS :
It is not the recipe which makes it special. It is the small special touch.
- I have used one green chilli as I am serving for my kids – otherwise, can use 3 to 4 green chillies.
- Instead of garam masala – can use biryani masala.
- In hyderabad biryani – they cook 80% or 90% rice and vegetable and dum. In lucknowi biryani – they cook 100% and dum. If by mistake the rice and vegetable are cooked 100 % call it Lucknowi or else Hyderabadi.
- For raita – beat curd – 400 gms , add 2 tsp of brown sugar. 1/2 tsp of normal salt, 1/2 tsp of black salt – add the required vegetable say cucumber or onion or cooked palak or cooked bottle guard etc. Can use boondi or pinapple. Sprinkle roasted jeera powder on top and little coriander. If required sprinkle some red chilli powder.