I was a regular visitor of kesava Perumal kovil (Temple in Mylapore – chennai). Every Thursday morning , they serve curd rice as prasad.
I have tired to create it. Obviously, nobody can bring in the divine taste. This is somewhat matching to the kovil (Temple) thayir sadam.
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Milk – 3/4 litre.
Til oil or Sesame seed oil – 1 tsp.
Salt – 1 1/2 to 2 tsp (salt is very important for the taste of a good thayir sadam – be careful and experiment).
Curd – 1 tbsp.
White Butter (unsalted) – 1 to 2 tbsp.
For seasoning :
Ghee or any oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 1 tsp.
Urad dal – 1 tbsp.
Ginger – small piece chopped.
Green chilli – 4 nos.
- Cook the rice very well with a tsp of til oil and salt.
- Mash it little bit.
- Cool it and bring it to room temperature.
- Boil the milk and bring it to room temperature.
- Mix the milk with the rice.
- Add the curd.
- Allow it to fermant.
- After 4 hours add the seasoning. While seasoning don’t fry the green chillies too much. Just fry and add.
- Allow it to stand for another 2 to 3 hours – till the curd is fully set.
- Add the butter and mix.
In Tirupati curd rice – black pepper is added. So along with the seasoning we can also add black pepper.
Along with the seasoning we can add,
- Dry fuits.
- Vegetables like cucumber, carrot, raw mango.
- Fruits like grapes, Pomegranate.
The curd rice itself is a lazy dish. On days, we are lazy to cook – we can make this effortless dish. Still no one in the family will complain. In case, we are so lazy – even to give the seasoning . Then, we can just eat the plain curd rice without the seasoning – with,
- Ripe mangoes.
We can also have it with
- With any roast vegetable.
- Mango sweet pachadi.
- Why not with coconut Burfi or Mysore pak.
- Even with left over resam ( the sediments of the resam). It tastes wonderful.
- If you take the pain of seasoning – then, enjoy the flavours of the spices. Don’t have pickle. Pickle will take over the flavour of the spices.
- Pickle and plain curd rice is a very good combination.
- Can add curry leaves or coriander leaves – in kovil (temple) rice they don’t add curry leaves.
- If you don’t have 6 hours then add more curd. Then, it will set in two or three hours.
- This is how my mother makes the curd rice, when we are travelling. She will prepare and pack it. After, six to seven hours we can have it.
- Also, can use red chilli in the seasoning.
- This is a very easy naivedyam (offering to god).
- Use 4 green chillies – in the picture I have used less – as I was serving for my kids. If we use more chillies it will be very tasty.