My sister in law, sent this sweet for Rakhi. I tasted it – it was so fabulous.
I started trying this recipe with various combination. I also found some recipes on the net. But, that sweet was amazing. There was something white and small tiny pieces – which I saw while eating. Didn’t know what was it. Later, I realised it was kas kas. Till then, I never knew – kas kas can bring such good flavour to the sweet.
Dates – 500 gms. Buy dates with seeds as they are more softer. If you buy seed less – they are little hard. In that case, you may have to chop the dates and grind it in the mixie. Just little.
Nuts – cashews – 1/4 cup, almonds – 1/4 cup. Use atleast this much. can add 1/4 cup of pista.
Ghee – 4tbsp.
Goond – 1 to 2 tbsp. It helps in bring a crunch and also binds.
Kas Kas – 1 tbsp.
Green cardamon – 3 nos.
Nut meg – Grate – 1/4 tsp.
- Mash the dates.
- Chop the nuts.
- Add ghee.
- Roast the nuts.
- Then, in the same ghee roast the goond.
- Then, roast the kas kas. It has to pop.
- Then, just add the dates and roast it little bit. It is mushy – so it will not get roasted well. Just little bit. Flip and flap it in the hot kadai for 3 minutes.
- Roast in this order. As kas kas requires a hot kadai for popping.
- Powder cardamon and nutmeg.
- Allow it to cool.
- Mix everything very well with your hands.
- Make cylinder shape and chop.
- Dates and nuts is ready.
- In the picture – I have used 4 and 1/2 kg dates. But, the ingredients is for 500 gms of dates.
- Can use a single nut. I have tried making it only with cashews and also only with badam. Even they tasted so good.
- Chopping the nuts is the only job. Otherwise, a very simple and extremely tasty and healthy sweet.
- Gaund or goond – is an “edible gum” that is extracted from the bark of a tree. It is available in crystal form as pearly yellowish translucent pieces of varying sizes. The bigger crystals are more expensive. It looks like the small stones. When roasted in ghee – it puffs up.It is crushed and added.
- If you are fasting have dates. It is a high energy food.
- Low iron in blood or hemoglobin is low – eat 2 to 3 dates daily. Don’t eat too much as it is very heat producing.
- If you are a sweet lover and need to eat a sweet after the meal. Eat this sweet.
- This sweet is very tempting. Eat only one a day.
- It also relieves constipation, any bone problems, reduces hair fall etc.