Urad dal – 300 gms ( I got 27 vadas with 300 gms – so with 100 gms (1/2 cup ) we will get 9 vadas (Approx)).
Salt – 3/4 tsp for 100 gms of urad dal (i.e 1/2 cup).
Also add green chilli – 4 to 5 nos, ginger – small piece, black pepper – 10 nos, hing – 5 pinches and curry leaves. Be generous with the masalas – it will give a nice taste to the vadas.
Oil for frying.
- Soak for 1 hour and drain for 1 hour. This is the minimum time required to soak – can soak upto 3 hours.
- Grind in the small jar of mixie. (Can use a wet grinder).
- Grind in small batches with the masala without adding any water.
- Grinding will take about 25 minutes to 30 minutes. Have patience and be prepared to spend this time. Don’t be in a hurry and grind it in the large jar. Without water it will get struck. Use the small jar. Small jars are meant for dry grinding.This effort will be worth – when you eat the vadas.
- Once grinded. Add few drops of water and keep beating. This will take another 10 to 15 minutes.
- When you add a dollop of batter in a cup of water – it should float. The batter will look white after beating and not pale white.
- Add 2 tsp of rice flour. This gives a very nice crisp to the vadas – please don’t omit this. Somepeople add 2 tsp of raw rice while grinding with urad dal. I feel only the rice flour gives good results.
- Use the hands for making the shape of the vada. If the batter is perfectly made – making the vada shape is a childs job and it will not soak oil.
- Dip the hands in water – take a ball of batter. Make a hole with the thump and slowly drop it in oil.
- The oil should be hot. If you add a dollop of batter – it should come up readily.
- Cook the vadas in lower flame. Once cooked, then keep it in the medium flame to get the nice brown colour.
- We need to grind the vadas without adding water. But, while beating add water. Exact measurement of water is 8 tbsp for one cup of urad dal. Only by adding water – it will become fluffy. If we add this while grinding the vadas – the effect is not similar. we can also add the water and use the pulse mode in the mixie for fluffing the vadas.
- Suppose, you try to beat without adding water. The batter will not become fluffy and will not float on water. The vada will be heavy and not light.
- By adding rice flour – it gives a crisp coating for the vada and it will be like restaurant vadas. If you have urad dal powder – even add that one tablespoon. The effect will be very crispy. Because these flours form a layer – they will stay crispy longer. They will not become soft and soggy.
- We can also add some vegetables like onion, cabbage or spinach. Add the vegetables just before making it.